Technical description: Silver-plated brass, with auxiliary (`piano') slide for high/low pitch. Single water-key. The echo bell (detachable) is clamped to one leg of its tuning-slide by a ligature screw; the other leg of the echo bell tuning-slide is clamped to its outer slide on the body by a ligature screw. The 4th valve switches the windway from normal bell to echo bell. With detachable fitting for music-card holder. With (394a) B? shank, (394b) A shank and (394c) A-flat crook.; Nominal pitch: B? etc.; ; ; ; ; ;
F. Besson [Corporation]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell "28|MEDALS OF HONOUR" / monogram|FR / "F.|BESSON / BREVETÉE / 198|EUSTON ROAD / LONDON"; on valve casings, top and bottom caps and the tubes inside springs "1", "2", "3"; on 2nd valve casing in ellipse "F.|BESSON" / five-pointed star / "BREVETÉE" and below "22506"; on 4th valve casing, top and bottom cap and valve stem "1". Stamped on shanks (394a) and (394b) "506".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 330; bell 117.; Sounding length: ; Bore: B? shank at c|35mm from mouthpiece receiver, minimum bore 8.55; instrument body at c|25mm from shank/crook receiver (local minimum bore) 10.45; main tuning-slide from 347mm to 567mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), m.t.s bore 11.7; auxiliary tuning-slide from 567mm to 693mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), m.t.s. bores 11.7 - 12.0; valve cluster from 717mm to 827mm from mouthpiece receiver (with B? shank), v.t.s. bore (3,2,1,4) 12.0; at c|289mm from bell end, 16.95; at 17.5mm from bell end, 67.B|=|0.59.Bell cutoff |1300|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.4 - 8.6 (B? shank).