Technical description: Brass, with auxiliary ('piano') slide for high/low pitch. Single water-key. The echo bell (detachable) is clamped to one leg of its tuning-slide by a ligature screw; the other leg of the echo bell tuning-slide is clamped to its outer slide on the body by a ligature screw. The 4th valve switches the windway from normal bell to echo bell. The shank has a round depression in the mouthpiece receiver filled with a white substance.; Nominal pitch: B?.; ; ; ; ; ;
F. Besson [Corporation]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell "50|MEDALS OF HONOUR" / monogram|FB / "F.|BESSON / ``Prototype'' / 198|EUSTON ROAD / LONDON" / star; on valve casing in ellipse "F.|BESSON" / star / "BREVETE" and below "32523";stamped on valve casings, and caps "1", "2", "3".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 330; bell 118.; Sounding length: ; Bore: shank at c|20mm from mouthpiece receiver, minimum bore 8.5mouthpipe at c|30mm from shank/crook receiver (local minimum bore) 10.25; m.t.s. from 290mm to 485mm from shank/crook receiver, tuning-slide bore 11.65; auxiliary slide from 485mm to 643mm from shank/crook receiver, tuning-slide bores 11.6 - 11.8; valve cluster at from 643mm to 743mm from shank/crook receiver, v.t.s. bore (3,2,1) 11.8; echo bell tuning-slide at c|785mm from shank/crook receiver, tuning-slide bore 11.8; echo bell aperture 8.3.Dia of shank mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 9.2 - 8.5.