Technical description: Brass; windway runs mouthpipe - m.t.s. - pitch change slide - 1 - 2 - 3 - switch valve - bells; there is also a tuning-slide in the pipe for the small bell. The main tuning-slide can be inserted either into the tube leading to the valves (for high pitch) or into the pitch change loop (for low pitch), which has its own tuning-slide which similarly can be inserted either into the tube leading to the valves (for low pitch) or into the loop (when it is out of the circuit). The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and small bell tuning-slides have gradations for low pitch. The large bell is directed upwards; the small bell is angled by nearly 90° and can be directed in any direction in a plane perpendicular to the axis of the large bell. The small bell is detachable and secured by a collar with a ligature screw. The 3 main valves are parallel to the large bell axis; the switch valve is aligned nearly 90° to the main valves.; Nominal pitch: B?.; ; ; ; ; Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A?=|460|Hz with pitch change loop for use at circa A?=|440|Hz.;
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on large bell "J.W. YORK & SON / GRAND RAPIDS / MICH."; on pitch change slide "PATENTED / JULY 12, 1910"; on 2nd valve "55804"; on valve casings "1", "2", "3", "4".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of large bell to bow proximal 650; large bell 286.5; small bell 152.; Sounding length: minimum 2559 (large bell); 2596 (small bell).; Bore: mouthpipe at 37mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 11.0; main tuning-slide from 221mm to 476mm from mouthpiece receiver, m.t.s bores 14.15; valve cluster from 568mm to 668mm from mouthpiece receiver, v.t.s. bore (1,2,3,change) 14.2; at 1280mm from large bell end, c|24.9; at c|964mm from large bell end, 20.15.B|=|0.43 (large bell).Small bell at 1298mm from small bell end, c|14.25; tuning-slide from 1086mm to 828mm from small bell end, m.t.s bore 14.25; at c|486mm from small bell end, 41.4.B|=|0.63 (small bell).Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 12.05 - 11.4.