Military side drum
Military side drum with emblazoned metal shell and wooden counterhoops, 14-1/2-inch skin heads, rope-tensioned with British style white leather braces (round edge, white, with vellum lace), and drag rope. The counterhoops have 9 drilled holes through which the tensioning rope passes. J-hook screw style snare strainer with 6 gut snares. The batter head has 3 metal feet match-painted with the counterhoop decoration. Associated with the 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers.
Henry Potter & Co [Corporation]
National Army Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, with regimental cap badge (Bengal tiger inside a flaming grenade), and battle honours.
- Inscriptions:Stamped on shell: HENRY POTTER & CO. / 30 Charing Cross. / London / 1898 / [broad arrow] / 50|Painted in red lettering over black background, on right side of heraldry painting: GEO. POTTER & COMPANY: POTTERS CORNER . ALDERSHOT .|Painted in red lettering over black background, on left side of heraldry painting: GEORGE POTTER & COMPANY: POTTERS CORNER . ALDERSHOT .
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:National Army Museum
- Measurements:Height: 400mm; Diameter: 375mm