Military side drum
Military side drum with emblazoned brass shell and wooden counterhoops, 15-inch synthetic heads, rope-tensioned with British style white leather braces (round edge, white, with vellum lace). The counterhoops have 10 drilled holes and brass saddles through which the tensioning rope passes. Snare is missing. The batter head has 3 metal feet match-painted with the counterhoop decoration. Associated with the 11th Battalion Parachute Regiment, 8th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.
National Army Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the 11th Battalion Parachute Regiment, 8th Battalion Middlesex Regiment, Territorial Army, with regiment cap badge (crowned winged parachute).
- Inscriptions:Stamped on shell: PREMIER / MADE IN ENGLAND / 1941 / [broad arrow]
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:National Army Museum
- Measurements:Height: 402mm; Diameter: 390mm