Nominal pitch: B♭. Technical description: Silver-plated brass, French bell rim; slide stockings. The tuning-slide is a single slide between the joint and the bell stay. With water-key. A cord restrainer is tied between the two slide stays. Usable pitch: Probably built for use at A₄=|452.4|Hz.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Floral engraving around bell inscription; embellished ferrules, slide buffer housings and bell stay ends and plates.
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on bell "EXCELSIOR SONOROUS/ CLASS|A / HAWKES & SON / Denman Street / Piccadilly Circus / LONDON / 48794"; on slide section at mouthpiece receiver "HAWKES / & SON / LONDON / .."; at joint on inner slide tenon only "31".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.22 Labrosones with slides
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to bow proximal 532; bell 111. Sounding length: minimum 1290. Bore: at c|25mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore), 10.0; expanding by 27mm from mouthpiece receiver to bore c|10.1; descending slide, 10.9; ascending slide, 10.9; tuning-slide from 501mm to 468mm from bell end, m.t.s. bore 12.35 - 11.26 (not cylindrical); at c|263mm from bell end, 15.4; at 20mm from bell end, 61.75.<i>B</i>|=|0.71.Bell cutoff |1200|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. 10.9 - 10.1.