This instrument is associated with the Cyfartfha Band, one of the greatest and oldest virtuoso nineteen-century brass bands, founded in 1838 by iron magnate Robert Thompson Crawshay. It is a side drum with a plain brass shell and a steel head held by thirteen retaining bolts. It also has a steel and wood snare mechanism on the inside, with an adjustable screw rod on the outside. There is a metal hook for strap and a wooden handle(?) mounted on the hoop. The shell has a small strap receiver hook and a metal leg rest attached.
Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.211.1 Individual single-skin cylindrical drums
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Engraved on shell: W. T. CRAWSHAY, ESQ.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.211.1 Individual single-skin cylindrical drums
- Repository:Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Measurements:Height: 240mm; Diameter: 408mm