Bass fanfare trumpet in G
This instrument is part of a set of 14 fanfare trumpets made in memory of all ranks of the Royal Naval School of Music who lost their lives in the Second World War (1939-1945). They were paid for by voluntary subscriptions and were dedicated at the Royal Naval School of Music (RNSM) on the 1st of June 1948. It is a bass fanfare trumpet made in two sections (valve section and bell section) joined through a metal threaded joint, with three piston valves and one water-key located at the first bow. The second valve slide has a pull ring. The bell section has two small rings for the respective banner of the RNSM. The instrument still has the original silver-plated mouthpiece. Nominal pitch: G.
Boosey & Hawkes [Corporation]
National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.233.2 Valve trumpets with long air column (more than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:The bell section holds a banner of the Royal Navy School of Music of Royal blue velvet with gold lace fringes, and the badge design featuring a crown and anchor.
- Inscriptions:Stamped on the bell: Boosey & Hawkes Ltd (gothic script)|Engraved on bell: ROYAL [cap badge] MARINES / SCHOOL OF MUSIC / THESE FANFARE TRUMPETS WERE PURCHASED / BY THE VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTIONS / OF THEIR COMRADES IN MEMORY OF THE / TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE N.C.O'S AND MEN, / OF THE ROYAL MARINE BAND SERVICE / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE WORLD WAR, 1939-1945 / WHILST SERVING IN HIS MAJESTY'S SHIPS / AND SHORE ESTABLISHMENTS|Engraved inside of the bell: HMS PHEOBE HMS ROYAL OAK HMS UGANDA
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.233.2 Valve trumpets with long air column (more than 2 m)
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Length: 1155mm; Bell diameter: 150mm