Alto saxophone made entirely of silver-plated brass, consisting of a conical tube with a U-bend that terminates in a bell flare, and having a curved neck (crook) where a single-reed mouthpiece is fitted. The neck joins the body through a ligature screw socket. It has 21 cylinder-cup keys mounted in posts with rods affixed to plates, with flat and needle springs attached to keys or posts. There are ebonite rollers between B and C-sharp keys, and between C and E-flat keys. The key paddings are of red felt. The instrument has a wooden mouthpiece with silver-plated ligature and cap. Nominal pitch: E-flat.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell: CLASS / A / BESSON & Co. / 198 EUSTON ROAD / LONDON / [five-pointed star] / 1995
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.212 (Single) clarinets with conical bore
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Height: 660mm; Bell diameter: 130mm