This is a semi-acoustic, Senator SE1 Brunette model, archtop electric guitar, with hollow body and slightly arched top and back. The body is made with a spruce top with two f-holes, and maple back and ribs, and has a Venetian round cutaway shape and Höfner's "brunette" finish. The fretboard is made of rosewood and has 23 nickel-silver frets, and mother-of-pearl dots inlay (five triple-dot). The nut is of laminated plywood in black-white-black pattern. The maple neck has an adjustable truss-rod with coverplate on headstock. The headstock is of a traditional Höfner shape, with laminated overlay black plate, and has six single tuners mounted on its back (3+3), with mother-of-pearl buttons and metal ferrules around the barrels. There are four modern, ball-end strings (wound and plain steel). The tailpiece is also a traditional, all-metal, Höfner Compensator model. The bridge is an Höfner model (type 72-18) made of ebonised wood with a single, slanted white plastic saddle, and two vertical adjustable screws. The electrical hardware consists of a covered humbucker double coil pickup (Höfner type 515), and two rotary controls for volume and tone, with white plastic knobs.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Höfner dagger motif mother-of-pearl inlay on headstock. White binding around f-holes. Binding strips around body in a white/black/white/black pattern.
- Inscriptions:Höfner paper label inside the body.|Höfner script decal on headstock.|Stamped on tailpiece: Hofner (script) / COMPENSATOR / REGD. 851997
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.322 Necked box lutes or necked guitars
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Height: 1020mm; Width: 410mm