Military side drum
This instrument belonged to Drummer Edward Forbes from the Royal Marines, and was used by him during recruiting at Chesterfield, in 1808. It is a military side drum with emblazoned wooden shell and counterhoops, 16-1/2-inch skin heads, and rope-tensioned with leather braces. The counterhoops have ten drilled holes through which the tensioning rope passes. The shell has a brass tack pattern.
National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the Royal Marines featuring a crowned shield with anchor design surrounded by vines that make a heart-shaped form.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Height: 455mm; Diameter: 430mm; Drumsticks length: 420mm