This instrument is associated with HMS Penelope, and was damaged by bomb splinters whilst in dry dock at Malta, March/May, 1942. It is a 14-in clash cymbal, or concert cymbal, made of brass with central boss. The leather handle is missing. It pairs with another cymbal.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped: [crescent with star] / MADE IN TURKEY / [Arabic script trademark inscription] / Zildjian & Co / CONSTANTINOPLE / TRADE MARK|Stamped: R. M. B. / 183
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:111.142 Cymbals
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Diameter: 350mm