Small side drum
This is a small, and probably commemorative, military side drum that bears the cypher of Queen Victoria and an early badge design of the Royal Marines. It is made of an emblazoned shell and it still has two skin heads, but the tension ropes and counterhoops are missing.
National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the Royal Marines badge (with Empire flags and British flag globe) and Queen Victoria's cypher.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Diameter: 205mm; Height: 175mm