Military side drum
Military side drum with emblazoned metal shell, wooden counterhoops, 14-inch skin heads, and rope-tensioned with the British style white leather braces (round edge, white, with vellum lace). The counterhoops have ten drilled holes and brass saddles through which the tensioning rope passes. There is a J-hook screw style snare strainer for gut snares, and the both heads have three metal feet.
National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the Royal Marines with Royal Coat of Arms featuring two Elizabeth II cyphers, and Royal Marines badge.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Diameter: 375mm; Height: 425mm