Flugelhorn made entirely of silver-plated brass with three bottom-sprung, piston valves with metal pin guide and cork bumpers. There is an adjustable straight bit to receive a silver-plated mouthpiece with a ligature-screw ferrule, and one water-key on the first bow. Nominal pitch: B-flat.
Besson & Co [Corporation]
Museum of Army Music
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Floral engravings on bell flare.
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell: CLASS / A / "50 MEDALS OF HONOUR" / [FB monogram] / BESSON & Co. / "Prototype" / 198 EUSTON ROAD / LONDON / [star]|Stamped on 2nd valve casing: [bee] / 3930|Stamped on valve casings and caps: 69 68 67
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Museum of Army Music
- Measurements:Length: 460mm; Height: 230mm; Bell diameter: 145mm; Sounding length: 1270mm