Originally a Paduan chitarrone or lute, converted in the 18th century as a theorbo and in the 19th century as a lute. Later two-piece front, book-matched, of fine to medium grain. The original neck and pegbox arrangements cannot be deduced but the instrument was probably set up as a theorbo with new front and neck in the 18th century. Next to the rebate for the (missing) full-width nut there is a filled recess for a shorter nut for the six stopped strings; the open bass strings would have gone to a second pegbox.
Royal College of Music Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Measurements:Length: 1089mm. Width: 365mm. Depth: 164mm.
- View the original record:http://museumcollections.rcm.ac.uk/collection/Details/collect/1155