Body and base composted of seven ribs of sycamore divided with ebony stringing. The belly is made from a single piece of pine, edged with ebony and inlaid with a white wood stringing. Ebonised neck and head of fingerboard of ebony, with 23 steel frets, inlaid with five mother-of-pearl motifs. Applied, shaped 'plate' of walnut, extending from base of neck to below sound-hole, with border of ivory stringing. Two corners and centre base of belly also veneered with walnut, edged with ivory stringing. The surround of the circular sound-hole is veneered with beech and inlaid with ebony and ivory stringing. The bridge is of beech. Three modern replacement gut strings, tuned by four metal pegs with bone ends. Head inlaid with oval-shaped amber bead. In own canvas case.
National Museums Liverpool
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Label: "Torgovy dom, Bratya Grimm, S.P.B. Newsky Pr. No. 102" on metal plate on back of head, and has a piece of newspaper (?) stuck inside soundhole, possible from repair, printed "Russki Dramaticheski Teatr"
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:National Museums Liverpool
- Measurements:Overall length 685mm, width 405mm, depth 110mm