Technical description: boxwood; 5 sections; silver keys and two cutters; 6 ivory ferrules, and studs between finger-holes; ivory mouthpiece; left-hand pipe has 6 finger-holes (top one containing ebony plug) plus thumb-hole, and keys for D and D♯; right-hand pipe has 4 finger-holes, and keys for C (thumb, with ebony plug in key-hole), B and D♯; vent hole at foot of each pipe on keymount; two-part wind-cap, with sponge inside lower part.; Nominal pitch: G (three-finger tonic).; Type or system: 5 keys.; Keyhead type: flat square, notched and chamfered.; Keymount type: ring/knob.; Usable pitch: sounding A₄ c|445|Hz.; Performance characteristics: in good working condition; lowest six-finger note (on left-hand pipe) sounds D₅; left-hand pipe plays slightly sharper than right-hand pipe.
Bainbridge & Wood [Corporation]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.222.12 Sets of open flutes with internal duct with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on wind-cap with a crown and "BAINBRIDGE / INVENTOR / HOLBORN / HILL / LONDON / PATENT"; stamped on head section "BAINBRIDGE / & WOOD / 35 / HOLBORN / HILL / LONDON / PATENT"; both pipes stamped "PATENT"; stamped with note names and numbers by respective finger-holes, and with note names by keyheads for D on left-hand pipe and C (stamped "B") on right-hand pipe; stamped beside left-hand pipe cutter "+", and on upper part of wind-cap "2".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.222.12 Sets of open flutes with internal duct with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 400.; Sounding length: 273.; Bore: