Technical description: ebony; 5 sections; silver keys and two cutters; 6 ivory ferrules, and studs between finger-holes; ivory mouthpiece; left-hand pipe has 7 finger-holes (top one containing ivory plug), no thumb-hole, and keys for D and D♯; right-hand pipe has 5 finger-holes, and keys for C (thumb, with wooden plug in key-hole), B and D♯; lowest `finger-hole' on each pipe may be intended as a vent hole; two-part wind-cap.; Nominal pitch: [G (three-finger tonic)].; Type or system: 5 keys.; Keyhead type: flat square, notched and chamfered.; Keymount type: ring/knob.; ; Usable pitch: sounding A₄ c|442|Hz (right-hand pipe).; Performance characteristics: only right-hand pipe working in present condition; [lowest six-finger note (left-hand pipe) sounds D₅].
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.222.12 Sets of open flutes with internal duct with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on head section "I.BRIGGS / INVENTOR / FECIT /  FETTER LANE HOLBORN / LONDON / IMPROVED / PATENT"; stamped on head ferrule "I.BRIGGS / INVENTOR", on wind-cap "I.BRIGGS / LONDON / PATENT", and on each pipe "IMPROVED / PATENT"; note names and numbers stamped by relevant finger-holes, and note names by keyheads for D and D? on left-hand pipe, and C (stamped "D"), B and D? on right-hand pipe.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.222.12 Sets of open flutes with internal duct with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 411.; Sounding length: 277.; Bore: