Technical description: boxwood; 5 sections; silver keys; 5 ivory ferrules plus cap; graduated ivory screw-stopper; no tuning-slide or metal lining; circular embouchure-hole; very small key-holes and keyheads; overlapping low C/C♯ touches.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 6 keys (to C).; Keyhead type: small pewter plugs, with metal-lined key-holes.; Keymount type: ring/knob with metal-lined channels.; Usable pitch: in present condition A₄ c|437|Hz.; Performance characteristics: [original range C₄|-|A₆]; only a few notes speak (and these not clearly) in present condition.
G.|Astor & Co.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped "G x ASTOR & CO. / 79 / CORNHILL / LONDON" with unicorn head and "PATENT"; "PATENT" also stamped on head ferrule.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 673.; Sounding length: 594.; Bore: conical.